MINUTES for WELNEY PARISH COUNCIL MEETING of JULY 2018

 

WELNEY PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of Meeting of Welney Parish Council

Tuesday 03 July, 2018 at 19.30

The William Marshall Centre, Hurn Drove, Welney PE14 9SD

 

Tel: 07731 157935

e-mail: clerk@welneypc.org.uk

www.welneypc.org.uk

 

Present:  – Councillors                                                             D. DENYER (DD)

  1. EDMUNDS (PE)
  2. GARDINER (PG)
  3. GOODGER (KG)

 

Parish Clerk                                                                             D. LAWSON (Clerk)

Public                                                                                      3

BCKL&WN district representative                                          V. Spikings

 

ITEM AGENDA ITEM & DETAIL ACTION
1

Meeting Housekeeping Announcements

 

Chair opened meeting and alerted members of public that there were no confidential matters identified on the agenda.

 

 

 

n/a                  n/a

2

  To receive & accept Members’ Apologies for Absence

 

  Apologies presented in email by GR

Apologies provided by members with reasons that were

accepted for:

MB, LB and LH

 

Apologies received from 2 BCKL&WN cllrs, citing conflicting

agendas

 

 

 

n/a

3

  To receive Members’ Declarations of Interest

 

1. KG as chair of Williams Marshall’s Charity.

2. PE on the William Marshall’s Charity Trust and as member

of RUG.

3. PG is Chair of RUG.

4. DD is Chair of William Marshall Centre management

committee

5. KG & PG with regards to planning items to be discussed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

  Public Participation

 

1.      No Police or County representatives present.

2.        2.   Member of the public started dialogue concerning process

3.        for contacting community centre committee to discuss build

4.        quality of the community centre. Chair informed all present

5.        how to write to the appropriate forum.

6.        3.   High level explanation provided on new ways of handling

7.        parish council accounts, with proposed workshop to iron out

8.        details. Cllr Spikings suggested some useful ideas that have

9.        proved to be a success at other parishes.

10.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  BCKL&WN Representative

 

Cllr Spikings repeated message relating to the unknown future

of West  Norfolk as a District level authority.

 

 

5

 

 

  To approve minutes of previous meeting – 05 June 2018

 

Minutes for June 2018 meeting proposed, seconded and

approved with all in favour

 

 
6

  Introduction of Co-opted Member – Lee Howard

 

Lee Howard (LH) absent – so paperwork formalities

completed. As these are statutory requirements the forms

must be filed and made available for the public (Register of

Interests form)

 

 

 

LH

 

7

 

 

  Annual Return

 

Agreed that should be able to complete AGAR after workshop

on accounts.

 

Clerk to identify mutually convenient date for workshop.

 

 

 

Clerk

8   Clerk’s Report & Parish Council Administration  
8.1

Clerk’s Report

 

Clerk reported that nothing new and significant to report, but that the challenge to get the parish’s administration under control continues with a considerable amount of work still to be done.

 

 
8.2

Parish Council Administration

 

Accounts and filing are most significant challenge. Clerk requires access to building for filing.

 

1.  Suggestion to produce and circulate a log of correspondence prior to meeting.

2.  Copies of statements to be sent to Chair and PG

3.  Members agreed that Clerk pursue supplier of payroll service to set it up. Costs are within permitted limits meaning that matter does not require a debate.

4.  Provision of IT equipment still an issue. Members had understood that funding had been agreed and all that is required no is that someone acquires the equipment. Clerk to obtain clarification from Cllr LB on his return from vacation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

 

  Incoming post

 

Cllr Spikings suggested that it might be a good idea to log all

incoming post.

 

 
 

 Statements for other Members

 

Clerk to provide copies of statements to Chair and Vice-Chair

to ensure others are aware of position of funds. May be

option to provide copy of download from bank when clerk has

on-line access.

 

 

 

Clerk

9   Finance & Bills for Payment  
9a

  Bills for Payment

 

1.      Westcotec – post and bracket for speed control device incl VAT @ £156.80

 

Comment made that prices for post and brackets have changed – so need to check prices.

 

2.      Members expressed concern that agreed grant to church did not appear to have been made. Clerk explained limits on payments to churches and the only permitted way that payments can be made to churches. As the grant fits with the permitted reason, the grant will now be made.

 

3.      Cllr Spikings explained history in relation to car park payments and clarified sums received and disbursed. Clerk advised Members that BCKL&WN is still to provide the lawful reason for making payment in writing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

 

 

9b

  Expected Receipts

 

VAT Refund of about £7k is expected. Clerk to report arrival

when access provided to bank account for on-line inquires.

 

Clerk to request the LB provides detail of VAT records and

method plus parish codes for accessing VAT system on-line.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk & LB

9c

  Payment proposal process improvement

 

Discussion on ways to improve payment of bills. Cllr Spikings

suggested preparing classic packet of invoices for circulation

and inspection by Members during meeting. Clerk responded

to say that this is part of the intended improvements to be

discussed. Members agreed – so process will be implemented.

 

 

9d

  Regular bills  for services

 

  It was agreed by all Members that all regular bills to transfer

to Direct Debit wherever possible to reduce work-load for

Clerk and Members.

 

 

 

Clerk & Chair

10

  Matters Arising

 

1.        1. GDPR – amendments to be emphasised in Standing Orders

2.        update on status – LB to provide Clerk updates to reflect

Transparency implications on his return from vacation.

 

 

 

 

Pending

11

  Village Management – Council Committee & Councillor lead

  on Specific Subjects

 
11.1

  Community Speed Watch – update provided by PG

A1101 closed for 2 weeks resulting in changes in quality of

information. Welney participation in county event – Welney

involved and another event in August.

 

 
11.2

 

  SAM2 Speed Monitoring Camera – update provided by PG

 

Device has been moved to Wisbech Road for current period

before returning to Chestnut Avenue.

 

Clerk to write to Police at Downham Market. MB to supply

contact details and information to include in communication.

 

 

 

PG

 

 

Clerk & MB

11.3

  Highway Matters – update

1.  Parish Partnership cost sharing – Clerk to follow up and    sure all payments balance correctly

2.   Parish Partnership & scheme options going forward. Clerk to retrieve communications and provide to permit WPC to submit bids by deadline of 07 Dec 2018 (suggestions include footpath to connect community centre to main parts of settlement, village “gates” and LED lighting)

3.   NCC Highways & painting of 30 MPH signs on road surfaces – no update

4.   LED  lighting –  clerk to research costs and check if possible via Parish partnership scheme

5.   Village gates – clerk to research costs and check if possible via Parish partnership scheme

6.   Wash road – action for each Member to provide Clerk with details of road problems

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

 

All

11.4

Flood warning services – no update

 

Another meeting still needs to be scheduled and added to the

agenda.

 

 

 

 

11.5

  Pot holes – problem at Hurn Drove as it is a private road and

  not adopted by NCC. DD to communicate with local resident

to explain situation

 

Agreed that photos of both should be taken for forwarding to

NCC Highways. (who is taking photos and sending to Andy

  Wallace?)

 

 
11.6

  Grass Cutting & Overgrowing vegetation  – non-playing field

 

1.      Grass cutting has stopped being a problem as result of weather and following some cuts.

2.      Overhanging trees – KG to provide names of property owners to contact

 

 

 

 

 

KG

 

 

11.7

  Drainage grill – Hurn Drove – non-playing field – no update

 

 
11.8

Events in Welney – update from DD

Clerk to place event info on web-site when LB returns from vacation. Info is ready to post.

 

Fund raising day was reported as a success.

 

 

 

Clerk & LB

11.9

  Footpath funding for March Road  – to remain on agenda and

  to receive update from MB.

 

Costs of footpath indicated at +/-£14k. Clerk to obtain details

from MB to permit preparation of options for members to

approve.

The concept of the path has been approved already and

parishioners have been consulted to canvas views. The path is

to provide better connection between main settlement and

hall.

 

Clerk to investigate Public Works Loan option costs (10/15/20

year repayment periods for £14k).

 

Proposed by PG and seconded by KG with all approving to try

to obtain Parish Partnership contribution with balance of

funding through Public Works Loan.

 

MB

 

 

MB & Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

12   Correspondence  
12.1

  Correspondence – incoming

 

There was nothing from Correspondence that required actions

that are not covered elsewhere under other sections recorded

in these minutes.

 

 
12.2

  Correspondence – outgoing – Open item list of actions for

  Clerk and members:

 

1.      PG requested that Clerk should write to Inspector Mark Cant at Downham Market Police Station to report SAM2 data with average percentile speed to request that the Beat Officer visits Welney on a regular basis to enforce the 30mph limit. (Note – MB will be able to provide Clerk with the data from SAM2)

2.

 

 

 

 

PG & Clerk

 

 

MB

13

  Planning Matters – The following planning applications were

  considered as part of consultation process (see declarations of

interest):

 

1.      18/00195/FM – Proposed development of 17 residential dwellings (including 3 affordable units) and improved vehicular access to Main Road at Land North of Grange Farm, Main Street.

Members voted to reject application on grounds that the footpath provision is inadequate, building density is too high for locality and based on previous experience there is the longer term risk posed to the community in relation to adoption of the access road.

 

2.      18/01106/F  – Single Storey side Extension to form Garage at Orchard House, Bells Drove

 

Members voted to support application as there were no issues.

 

 

 

 

 

14

  Items for Next Agenda

 

·        completion of payroll process

·        staff contract of employment (statutory requirement)

·        staff engagement process (forms of identity, etc.)

·        IT equipment

·        annual return – is it possible to complete

·        feedback from  accounting work-shop session

·        monthly finances – budget vs actual

·        filing

·        extra costs in relation to preparation of annual return

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Confidential items – there were no confidential matters

 

 
 

  Next meeting = TBD August 2018 @ 19.30

 

 
    Meeting closed at 21.45  

 

 

Signed ……………………………………………………………………. Date ……………………………………..

Leave a Reply

Comments are moderated. This may take some time as there is no full time moderator for this site.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with a *