WELNEY PARISH COUNCIL
minutes for August Meeting of Welney Parish Council
Tuesday 07 August, 2018 at 19.30
The William Marshall Centre, Hurn Drove, Welney PE14 9SD
Tel: 07731 157935
Present: – Councillors P. GARDINER (PG)
- BARKER (MB)
- HOWARD (LH)
- BOMBATA (LB)
Parish Clerk D. LAWSON (Clerk)
Public (MOP) 8
BCKL&WN district representative D. POPE
|ITEM||AGENDA ITEM & DETAIL||ACTION|
Meeting Housekeeping Announcements
Chair opened meeting and alerted members of public that there were no confidential matters identified on the agenda.
Urgent Business – election of Chair & Vice-chair
As the result of the resignation of the chair it was necessary to elect a new chair.
PG proposed as chair by LB and seconded by LH – all in favour
MB proposed as vice-chair by LB and seconded by LH – all in favour
Chair proposed a vote of thanks to former councillors Paul Edmunds and Donna Denyer
To receive & accept Members’ Apologies for Absence
Apologies presented in email by GR
Apologies provided by members with reasons that were
accepted for KG
Apologies received from 2 BCKL&WN Cllrs.
Chair requested that clerk write to Cllr Humphreys to request
his attendance at a Welney parish meeting, as the current
Members have not met him yet.
To receive Members’ Declarations of Interest
1. PG is Chair of RUG.
2. LB in relation to William Marshall charity
1. No Police or County representatives present. Clerk to continue to try to make contact with the Police to have an officer attend to provide an update on matters of interest to Welney, as it has been too long time since a representative of the Police service has provided an update on local policy as it impacts Welney.
2. 2. MOP asked why agendas and minutes are not available on
3. the parish web-site. Clerk explained that this was not
4. Possible until the day before the meeting, as the Clerk had
5. not received the codes to access the web-site before this
7. 3. MOP asked if there was going to be another significant
8. increase in the precept following the large increase for the
9. current year. Chair explained that there appears to be no
10. need to alter the level of the precept and that spending
11. remains within budget.
12. 4. MOP asked if there is an intention to establish some sort
of neighbourhood watch scheme. In response it was
explained that this had been tried previously, but that it
had lost momentum. The Clerk reminded the meeting that
to relaunch such a scheme requires Police involvement
and that the Police holds the budget. Clerk to add to items
to discuss with Police
13. 5. MOP informed meeting that the Welney News is being
15. 6. MOP raised point that yet again the Trod improvement has
16. Been deferred yet again
17. 7. MOP asked if annual accounts had been made public. Clerk
18. explained technical issues preventing publication.
19. 8. BCKL&WN representative confirmed that revised boundary
20. changes appear to be in finalised state
To approve minutes of previous meeting – 03 July 2018
Minutes for July 2018 meeting proposed, seconded and
approved with all in favour
Administration re new member – all forms now completed
Annual Return (AGAR)
Clerk explained that there is a basic technical problem and
advice is awaited from auditors as to the way forward. Until
this problem can be resolved the annual return will not be
|8||Clerk’s Report & Parish Council Administration|
Clerk’s Report – as result of resignation of one of the
councillors the procedure for monitoring incoming post needs
Parish Council Administration
1. Closure of employee engagement process for clerk (formal offer, contract of employment, set up on PAYE scheme, timesheets, additional hours for WPC accounting problem analysis) – unable to complete due to changes of members
2. IT equipment – LB provided list of agreed items to procure and explanation of funding to Welney Parish Council as a result of application for funding for transparency. Clerk to contact vendors to identify if WPC can pay by cheque for ordered items or if other payment method is required.
3. Co-option of new members – Clerk explained the process and delays as advised by BCKL&WN democratic services unit. Clerk to arrange to have notice posted for public.
4. Bank accounts – following resignations mandates require an update. MB to be added as signatory.
5. Completion of transfer to trust administration & formalities – discussed briefly and agree to defer to next meeting, as legal opinion is required
|9||Finance & Bills for Payment|
Budget vs Actual position & funds available – Clerk provided
brief summary of current position, stating that after first 3
months of current year that expenditure is well under 25% of
budget and current projection means that some funds should
be available at year end to start to provide the recommended
Bills for Payment – List of bills to pay circulated – All items to
pay were reviewed and authorisation to pay voted.05/
|9.3||Financial Regulations – no update/s or changes to report|
|10||Standing Orders – no update/s or changes to report|
|10.1||SOs – GDPR & adherence – no update/s or changes to report|
SOs – Complaints Policy – no update/s or changes to report
Village Management – Council Committee & Councillor lead
on Specific Subjects
Community Speed Watch – PG provided update
There is no apparent improvement in speeding and it remains
an issue. As it is summer holiday season Police resources are
spread even more thinly. Camera due to be relocated on 10
|11.2||SAM2 Speed Monitoring Camera – update – 35k vehicle movements in single direction as average monthly total.|
Highway Matters – update
Parish Partnership (PP) scheme – for local highways improvements – bids to be submitted by 07 Dec 2018 – with regards to funding for footpath to connect main settlement to community centre in March Road and Application for a loan to fund the other £14,000
PG proposed accepting 50% PPS grant of £14,000, seconded by LB and all voted in favour. Balance of funding to be provided by PWLB loan.
PG proposed applying for 50% loan of £14,000 on 10 year term from PWLB, seconded by MB with majority voting in support (1 abstention)
Clerk to ensure paperwork is submitted to avoid loss of NCC funding.
Other options under discussion included:
· improved street lighting using LEDs – Option is no longer available for PP support in current business year – WPC needs to identify the level of preparation that is required for the future
· “gates” to mark boundaries of settlement on principal routes – Members agreed to defer option as a lower priority.
Highway Matters – new discussion points & actions for clerk:
1. to contact NCC Highways (Andy Wallace) to inquire about rolled kerbs for speed controls at strategic locations.
2. to inquire about repairs to pavement on New Road
3. to inquire about long-term options for LED lighting
4. to contact NCC Highways re condition of Wash Road, as it seems to be in condition that will result in collapse
|11.5||Flood warning services – update – nothing to report|
|11.6||Pot holes – update – nothing to report|
|11.7||Grass Cutting – update – nothing to report|
|11.8||Drainage grills – update – nothing to report|
Events in Welney – update:
· September event cancelled
· Barn dance raised £600
|12||Correspondence – List circulated at meeting.|
Planning Matters – The following planning applications are to
be considered as part of consultation process:
1. 18/01299/F – Variation of condition 1 of Prior Notification of 17/00718/PACU3: no objections
Feedback – proposed development of 17 dwellings north of
Grange Farm. PG provided update from Planning Meeting in
King’s Lynn with news that consideration of application has
been deferred. Clarification required as to why IDB objects to
footpath – Clerk to write to IDB requesting reason.
Items for Next Agenda:
· co-option of new council members
· road safety for villagers
· frequency of WPC meetings
|15||Confidential items –there were no confidential matters|
Remembrance preparation – Clerk to contact Donna Denyer
with regards to order for wreath/s and arrangements for
Remembrance and Armistice events (11 November falls on
Sunday this year)
|17||Date for next meeting = 04 September, 2018|
|Meeting closure time = 21.10|